Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Christmas Past

We have just met the second ghost that Scrooge will meet. The ghost of Christmas Past. When we first meet the ghost Charles Dickens makes a large point about the way that the ghost looks. He says that the ghost looks old but young at the same time. This was easy for me to see in my mind. Dickens says that the ghost has smooth skin but has gray hair.
The one thing about Dickens description that was hard for me to picture was the light source coming from the ghost’s head. I never knew that this was apart of the description of the ghost of Christmas Past. This was obviously not apart of the play but even in movies that I have seen of this book the ghost was never shown like this. The ghost of Christmas Past was shown as similar to what Santa would look like but with a red beard instead. In one movie that I have seen shows the ghost as a candle which I never understood until now. I also understand why the ghost would be holding a torch in one of his hands.
Everything else so far in the book has been accurate to the movies and plays I have seen of the book. The only difference is that we get more information in the book about things like the setting and characters emotions. As we continue to read I wonder if we will get to hear more from a female character. So far the only female character has been Fan and we barely get to hear from her. She simply says that her father has changed and will allow Scrooge to come home. Later in the book I’m look forward to hear from Scrooge's fiance and to find out about their relationship.

1 comment:

  1. Unlike how you could see the ghost, I was fairly confused until we talked bout it in class. However I could imagine the ray of light coming from his head. I have also seen the play version of ACC, but I have not seen the movie. I also would like to hear from more female characters even though we have already herad from Belle. I thik you did a good job on your blog post and expressing your opinions and recapping what has happened in the book so far.

    ReplyDelete